Table of Contents
Find better rhymes, and use them more effectively.
Rhyme is one of the most crucial areas of lyric writing, and this guide will provide you with all the technical information necessary to develop your skills completely. Make rhyme work for you, and your lyric writing will greatly improve. If you have written lyrics before, even at a professional level, you can still gain greater control and understanding of your craft with the exercises and worksheets included in this book. Hone your writing technique and skill with this practical and fun approach to the art of lyric writing. Start writing better than ever before! You will learn to:
- Use different types of consonant and vowel sounds to improve your lyric story
- Find more rhymes and choose which ones are most effective
- Spotlight important ideas using rhyme
This edition of this classic songwriting text contains new strategies and insights, as well as analyses of the rhymes of Randy Newman, Warren Zevon, T.S. Eliot, and other songwriters and poets.
Pat Pattison’s many successful students include GRAMMY® award winners John Mayer, Gillian Welch, and Tom Hambridge. Pat has been teaching at Berklee College of Music since 1975, where he played a central role in developing Berklee's unique songwriting major—the world’s first college-level songwriting degree. In addition to four books about songwriting, Pat has developed several courses for Berklee Online (online.berklee.edu) and Coursera.org. His lyrics and articles are widely published, and he presents live songwriting clinics worldwide.
Key Digital Print Features
We've built a new way to enjoy electronic print that you're sure to love.
- Fast Loading Desktop and Mobile Experience (even with cellular connections!)
- Auto-resume across devices
- Quick search, note taking and bookmarking for easy reference
- Responsive book design, so things look great on mobile too
- * Internet connection required *