Table of Contents
The book series Musician’s Guide to Home Recording takes a clear, practical approach to today’s world of computer-based recording. Each book in the series focuses with laser-like precision on a particular topic. Titles include How to Choose and Use Audio Interfaces, How to Apply Equalization, How to Record and Mix Great Vocals, and more.
Readers can choose individual books to increase their knowledge in specific areas, or treat the series as a complete course and cover selected topics at their own pace. Musician’s Guide to Home Recording is the definitive series to help musicians everywhere use digital recording, mixing, and editing to their fullest potential.
Vocals tell the story that makes the all-important connection between singer and listener, but recording a vocal isn’t as simple as putting a microphone in front of someone and hoping for the best. This book, written in a clear, practical, accessible style, covers all aspects of creating great vocals, including:
• How to choose the right microphone
• Microphone placement
• Microphone accessories such as cables and pop filters
• Microphone preamps
• How to maximize results with composite recording
• How to edit vocals digitally to prepare them for the best possible mix
• How to use processors (such as equalization, dynamics, and time-based effects) during mixdown to enhance vocal quality
• Automation techniques for vocals
• Techniques for working with layered vocals
This book goes beyond technology, providing valuable tips and techniques to help you obtain the best vocal performances. Topics include connecting with listeners, conveying a singer’s personality, creating “emotional dynamic range,” and knowing when a take is the right take.
Loaded with illustrations and featuring sidebars with details on selected subjects for those who want to know “why” as well as “how,” How to Record and Mix Great Vocals is the key to transforming raw vocals into satisfying, emotional experiences.
Key Digital Print Features
We've built a new way to enjoy electronic print that you're sure to love.
- Fast Loading Desktop and Mobile Experience (even with cellular connections!)
- Auto-resume across devices
- Quick search, note taking and bookmarking for easy reference
- Responsive book design, so things look great on mobile too
- * Internet connection required *