Table of Contents
The book series Musician’s Guide to Home Recording takes a clear, practical approach to today’s world of computer-based recording. Each book in the series focuses with laser-like precision on a particular topic. Titles include How to Choose and Use Audio Interfaces, How to Apply Equalization, How to Record and Mix Great Vocals, and more. Readers can choose individual books to increase their knowledge in specific areas, or treat the series as a complete course and cover selected topics at their own pace. Musician’s Guide to Home Recording is the definitive series to help musicians everywhere use digital recording, mixing, and editing to their fullest potential.
Along with a computer, an audio interface provides the all-important hardware foundation for computer-based recording. This book helps musicians choose, apply, and obtain maximum performance from all types of audio interfaces. Written in a clear, practical, accessible style, the book includes the following topics:
• The significance of analog and digital connections and how to use them
• The differences between USB, FireWire, Thunderbolt, and PCIe for Windows and Mac computers
• Available device options, from portable units to interfaces that include sophisticated mixers
• Special requirements involved in recording guitar
• The function of drivers and accessory programs (like software mixers)
• Ways to minimize delays that occur when using audio interfaces with computers
• How and why to choose a particular sample rate and bit resolution
• The “high-resolution audio” controversy
• The importance and use of microphone preamps
• How to expand an existing interface for more inputs
• How to understand manufacturers’ specifications
• Special features that are unique to particular interfaces
Loaded with illustrations and featuring sidebars with details on selected topics for those who want to know “why” as well as “how,” How to Choose and Use Audio Interfaces is essential reading about one of the most important elements in any high-quality, computer-based home or project studio.
Key Digital Print Features
We've built a new way to enjoy electronic print that you're sure to love.
- Fast Loading Desktop and Mobile Experience (even with cellular connections!)
- Auto-resume across devices
- Quick search, note taking and bookmarking for easy reference
- Responsive book design, so things look great on mobile too
- * Internet connection required *